Thursday, June 11, 2009

Close to the Edge

Wow, that was quick. So we're nearly at the end - thesis done, bills paid, just graduation to go, and then I'm outta here. 

Seems odd now. A whole year here at Stanford. I'm still unsure how I feel about the place - lots of good and interesting stuff, but all of it diluted by busy work or bureaucracy. I feel like Stanford is so close to being awesome, but just needs a quick tweak here and there. 

That's part of the reason I'm sorry to go: I reckon if I were here for a couple more years, not only would I crack it, but I'd actually be able to instill a bit more fun for other people. 

KZSU, for example, is just crying out for someone to rejig it. The potential's there; we just need to turn it up a bit.

And the Comm department - what I could do if I had a couple of terms to tinker with that. In fact, I spent most of a run yesterday coming up with ideas to booster the thing. I'd tell the department about them as well, if I didn't think they'd just fall on deaf ears (or ears unwilling to pay, at least).

Maybe all this is a mixture of looking back on the last year and thinking how I could've made it even better. But I suspect what I'm really after is a project. I'm not sure it even matters what that project is - I just need something sustained to build from start to finish and make it fantastic.

Academic journalism is fine, but it's a bit piecemeal. Possibly the time's come to create something new that I can really get my teeth into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment